About Me

My photo
Hello! I am Bethany, a mom of 4 beautiful children, a owner of a dog, and married to a miner/hunter. (Camo is a popular color in our home). We recently relocated to the UP of Michigan from Juneau,Alaska...a huge adjustment. I have a passion for photography and documenting our journey through life. But, most of the time Im busy with my kids, hiding in the bathroom for peace and quiet, or trying to find my dog because he runs away all the time. Welcome to our world...always full of adventure.

Friday, June 5

TECHNOLOGY

I understand, not everyone is going to agree with me. I had a conversation with a friend the other day. As we were talking she said to me "why don't you ever text me?" I said because I don't text. And is where it got me thinking.
Some of her reasons for texting were:
1. So you don't have to talk to people
2. When your dating, sometimes you don't want to talk to them right away and it takes the "awkwardness" out of it.
3. It is so much easier.

So first of all, these are the reasons why I don't text. IT IS IMPERSONAL. What happened to a good old fashion hello or to hear another friends voice? I think it is human nature to talk to one another, what ever happened with that?
And dating. Dating is awkward and you shouldn't mask it by sending messages back and forth to each other. You could never get to know a person in 3 sentences. Those awkward moments are just human.
ANNOYANCE, AWKWARD, HAPPINESS, AND SORROW are all part of being human. I will not text. I will be human and talk to people if I have something to ask or say. Someday I wont have people to talk to because I will probably be in a nursing home or mental asylum and I sure hope technology isn't computers talking to me.

3 comments:

Brooks said...

I totally agree with you. My brother and dad text me and then I end up calling them, because I have too much to say in a text. But, it is fun to leave little sentences to each other like, "Wooooeee, I just made some chocolate cake, know you want some!" Texting is not for real conversations, unless you are my dad, this is how he communicates and for now I'm ok with it. :)

Erin said...

Maybe it's a Dad thing. My Dad loves texting! I like texting quick notes (& sometimes even the grocery list so nothing is forgotten) but it can never replace a phone call or personal visit.

Melissa said...

I text because I am a talker...and if I don't have time to talk for hours...which is how long I usually stay on the phone...(like when I should be making dinner or something) but I really need to get a quick note to someone, then I know that the important stuff will get through, and my family can still have dinner. I text my husband when he is at work, because I never know if I'm going to interrupt him during something important. I love talking, but texting definitely has a place for me. =)