About Me

My photo
Hello! I am Bethany, a mom of 4 beautiful children, a owner of a dog, and married to a miner/hunter. (Camo is a popular color in our home). We recently relocated to the UP of Michigan from Juneau,Alaska...a huge adjustment. I have a passion for photography and documenting our journey through life. But, most of the time Im busy with my kids, hiding in the bathroom for peace and quiet, or trying to find my dog because he runs away all the time. Welcome to our world...always full of adventure.

Tuesday, January 26

WHILE IT IS FRESH ON MY MIND

I just spent 2 hours figuring out my monthly budget.
Outcome: FRUSTRATING
Reality: Ugly and Unpredictable
Goals: HOPEFUL

Monthly bills (the ones that will always be there), takes 41% of our monthly income. Gone...out the door before we even say hello.

Credit Card bills were 11% of our monthly income. Gone and never to be seen again for any kind of investment. That really hurts. What is even worse about that is 33% of my 11% goes to fees and interest. Ouch.

Then the controllable funds, like food, household, misc. spending was a little on the high side at 36% of our income. I have to take into consideration, this is the FIRST of the year and all the yearly bills come during this month. January. (Such as a 650.00 yearly maintenance fee on a timeshare, ). Next month, all the overage should go into savings, which is kinda cool.

Halfway through the week I did have some breakdowns and some luck with good deals. I bought 11 yards of black swayed fabric, for a backdrop and got it as a future investment (I like to call my purchases investments. It doesn't make it so bad to buy then.) But did I NEED it? Well, I think I do. I think I should have a whole budget for "Photography" like Andy has one for "Hunting".
I also did some coupon shopping at Fred Meyers and Safeway. I was really happy with 1 purchase: I got a 10 pound prime rib and a whole shopping cart full of groceries for 80.00.

MY MOTIVATION: To beable to move out of Juneau. Out of all the things...yes it's that.

I AM HOPEFUL. Why do I feel hopeful after only being able to put away a measly 83.00 into savings? Because, there has to be hope. It's like running a mile and trying to beat it the next time. It's like starting a book and finishing it to get to the end. It is a challenge for me to try and save money, and be in control. I don't want money to stop me from doing fun activities in life, so insted I budget and hope it gets me somewhere comfortable.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

i thought you liked it here. where do you want to move to?

Erin said...

I'm happy that you are hopeful about budgeting.
I am sad that you plan to leave.

Bethany said...

I do like Juneau. Move it closer to family and build a road, I would like it even more.

Rachel said...

Hey, anything on the positive side is reason to celebrate. Congrats on sticking with the budget. Sometimes setting it up is the easy part, but following through can be the hard part.
I do wish your motivation wasn't to move out of Juneau, though. I'm glad you're here.

Bethany said...

Rachel-
It would make it alot easier if everyone would move with me. I'm just ready. Ready to have a cow and a house with land. But that is all part of the dream you know.

Olivia Orsborn said...

I understand about moving, done it a few times with college and once with Mike to Washington, but I ALWAYS came back to Juneau!

But, having a cow and some acreage - that's a little hard to have here! I've thought a lot about wanting more land 'space' too.

As for budgeting, please check out:
http://www.christianpf.com/snowball-your-way-out-of-debt/

and

http://www.christianpf.com/the-bible-and-debt/

these are really helpful articles I highly recommend!

Budgeting is such an on-going process! I revisit it everytime Mike gets paid so we can 'focus' on our future!