About Me

My photo
Hello! I am Bethany, a mom of 4 beautiful children, a owner of a dog, and married to a miner/hunter. (Camo is a popular color in our home). We recently relocated to the UP of Michigan from Juneau,Alaska...a huge adjustment. I have a passion for photography and documenting our journey through life. But, most of the time Im busy with my kids, hiding in the bathroom for peace and quiet, or trying to find my dog because he runs away all the time. Welcome to our world...always full of adventure.

Friday, March 25

"IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE"

I find myself a little cheesy lately. With the "oh, it's a wonderful life" type of feel. Sometimes I do think things are wonderful, but not everything is.

Like the fact that my 9 month old baby has been sleeping  in a playpen in the middle of my livingroom because he won't sleep through the night. He thinks he is starving. I had to move him out of my room to get through this...so I'm not so quick to go and pick him up. I don't know who has a harder time with this: Me or him? It's hard for me to ignore the sound of a baby crying.

Also, the fact that I notice the back bedrooms (including mine) has been the catch-all this whole winter. Piles of clothes, books, toys. All clutter that you wouldn't even sell at a yardsale type of clutter. Now that it's spring, I can finally see everything that has built up in these 3 rooms. Yes, 3 whole rooms.

Also the fact that my husband works ALL the time. That isn't so wonderful. It definately isn't wonderful that he is exhausted when he is home. (My husband is an underground miner if you didn't know already). Get this: he works from 430am-6:30pm, 14 days IN A ROW....underground. Long, dark, miserable days. I worry about him every day.

Another fact, girls are emotional.  I don't know how to deal with emotional girls. Mine are extremely sensitive and I just don't handle it in a compassionate way. I think my girls SHOULD be tough. Handle a little criticism without breaking-down in tears. Her brother even called her a "drama queen" the other day and she said
"Mom! Trey just called me a DRAMA QUEEN and I'm not! He's a big bully and is being sooo mean. Humph...."
What do you say to that? "Trey, stop calling your sister a Drama Queen."

As a mother of 4, I search for those moments of "Oh, it's a wonderful life" only to find them in my quiet hour. When I'm with my husband sitting in the hot tub alone, when my baby wakes up in the morning after a full night of sleep, and when my daughters give me a big hug and tell me "You are the best mom ever" . It keeps me going.
It keeps me positive even though I know darn well... there is a dirty diaper waiting to be changed.

4 comments:

Mark and Emily said...

I love this post!!! I hate hearing babies cry too, it's why mine are so spoiled. But now that we have a 3rd one coming I have to teach them to be more independent which is a good thing, if only I can stop thinking of them as my babies!! I don't know how you do it with a husband that has to work so much, Mark is my hero every night at 5 pm!

Raven said...

awww Bethie I so feel your pain! You know I do :) Motherhood is HARD isn't it? Especially when you feel like you are doing it along since Andy is working so much. Rob works out of town quite a bit but I also have my sisters here to help out. You are doing a great job!! Four kids? Geesh you are my hero!!

katie paden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lela Paden said...

Love it when kids don't sign out on your computer!!!!

AMEN!!! we moms have a HARD job.... with each other for advise we will be victorious :) Keep up the good work.